We will help you to navigate with Map! Push object on the icon bellow:
Architecture: Žagare mansion
New Žagarė manor homestead has been mentioned since the 16th century. The manor house ensemble that survived to this day was finally formed in the 19th century (1858 onwards). Under the management of the noble Naryskins, it was rebuilt and turned into a chic English-style residence. There are several groups of buildings in flat terrain: a residence palace surrounded by a park, an ice parlor, a stud farm, English cottage-style houses: a horse, brewer, gardener, shed, dairy, former pop and school buildings, and three caretakers.
Žagarė manor house is designed in the form of a letter “U” and the front of the building features the coat of arms of the Naryshkin. The living room, the dining room, guest rooms and hunting trophies were located on the first floor. 20th century In the palace there was a school, later a dormitory of a special school, a retirement home for the elderly. Now it`s regional park office.
Architecture: Mansion horse farm
The stud farm, manege and wheeled (carriage) complex is a striking accent of the Neo-Gothic style farmstead of the Historic period. Currently operating horse farm is one of the oldest stud farms in Lithuania, writing its history since 1899.
Architecture: Mansion horseman house
Horseman house (build late in 19th century, restored 1980-1982). State horse darm was established in 1952 and from 1982 house were used like office of The state of horse farm. Nowadays its unused.
Architecture: Pot house
Local activist Edmund house that was decorated with lots of pots first time in 90s. As every local people in Žagare Edmundas has his nickname – Muse (fly).
Architecture: St. Petro ir Povilo church
The first church was built around 1523. In 17th century The old wooden church is mentioned at the beginning. 1600 a parish school was established. In Žagarė in 1619; land were planned for church. 1633-1636 a new brick church was built. She burned in 1804 and 1805-1806 repaired. The church has Renaissance and Baroque attributes. It is rectangular, single-barreled, with a narrow triangular apse, single-nose. The churchyard fence is made of stone masonry with metal gates. The Chapel of the Stations of the Cross Road is attached to the fence. Nowadays – active part of the community.
Architecture: II St. Petro ir Povilo church
After the landlord Mikalojus Syrevičius foundated church was built about 1495. It was first churchbuilt in Old Žagarė. According to Samogitian Bishop Motiejus Valancius, in 1605 the wooden Old Žagarė church burned down. 1523 May 4 Mikalojus Syrevičius’ wife Marijona Syrevičienė donated land to the church and a new one was soon built. 1655 the church burned again during the Swedish war. After the fire of 1712, the present brick church was built of brick and limestone. It was founded by Žagarė landlord Albrecht Umiastowski. 1963 The Old Žagarė Church was closed by the Soviet authorities and the remains of Barbora Žagarė were taken away and she was not sure where to help. Initially, a grain warehouse was set up, later a branch of Šiauliai Aušra Museum to store rural household items. 1994 after the restoration the Old Žagarė church was reopened. 1994 September 24 Sigitas Tamkevičius, the Archbishop of Kaunas, consecrated her. The crypt of the church was restored and the symbolic casket of Barbora Žagarietė was restored. 2003 during St At the dedication of Peter and Paul, a new painting of the central altar depicting Saint Barbara was consecrated in the Old Žagarė Church. Old Žagarė church is Renaissance style, rectangular, hall, three naves, separated by two wooden profiled pillars. The presbytery is narrower than the hall, flattened with a siege. The porch is also narrower. It was built in 1844. The walls of the church are thick, plastered. Windows with segmental arch. On the left side of the church there are two doors to the entrance: one inside the church and the other into the churchyard. Church ceiling planks. The front façade is decorated with three arched niches. The roof is Gothic, tall, covered with tin. In front is a bell tower. The exterior of the church is rather reserved, with monumental Renaissance forms. Only the great altar of the church has been restored, with new pine wood inserted into it. The remaining architectural part of the altar. The pulpit is traditionally located on the left side of the church, next to the sacristy wall. The organ chorus is wooden, supported by two simple pillars on stone pedestals. Above, they are adorned with cut, stylized ring ornaments. The church has a valuable altar of processions from a sacral and artistic point of view. It is wooden, Baroque style. Contemporary painted or repainted on the walls of the presbytery Peter and St Images of Paul. The church is first and foremost valuable for its authentic architecture. The altar, pulpit, altar of processions are valuable from an artistic point of view, as they show the development of Baroque in Lithuania.
Architecture: Raktuvė chapel
Raktė or Raktuvė mound (Žagarė mound II with settlement) is located on the western edge of the town of Žagarė, on the right shore of the River Švėtė. The Semigallian castle Raktė stood on the Mound of Raktuva. Historical sources first mention the Key in 1272, after the Livonian Order attacked and burned down the castle, although some scholars say it was mentioned around 1198. Archaeological findings testify to the existence of over 1 thousand people. pr. Kr.
Today, on the mound stands the Raktuvė Chapel, a wooden folk architecture building dating back to the 17th century. 18th century The Catholic cemetery of Žagarė town was opened on the mound site.
Architecture: Synagogue complex
18th – 19th century. At the junction of the market square in New Žagarė there was built a complex of two brick white plastered synagogues. The summer synagogue (P. Avižonio 7A) was larger and more ornate, while the smaller but equipped heating system prays in the cold season (P. Avižonio 5A).
During the Soviet times, both New Žagarė Synagogues were rebuilt, their functions changed: a winter synagogue – sports hall and artisan workshops, and a Žagarė Fire Department in summer synagogue.
Nature: 'Ozas' educational track
Žagarės Ozas is a long, narrow ridge formed by sand and gravel. It is one of the most impressive and, at one time, one of the longest oaks of Lithuania because of the plains around the ridge. The purpose of the Žagarė ozo trail is to introduce visitors to the natural values, to explore the beautiful nature, to observe birds, animals or insects and to camp.
Track equipped recreational infrastructure elements: gazebos, observation towers, billboards, fireplaces, basketball court, beach volleyball courts, parking lots, outdoor toilets, changing cabins and more.
Nature: Historical park
18th century At the end of the 19th century, the Russian queen Yekaterina II, who captured Lithuania as well as the New Žagarė, gave it like a present to her favorite Platon Zubov. 19th century this property went to the Narshkin who rebuilt and expanded the Zubov Manor, turning it into English-style residence. At the end of the 19th century it was reconstructed and expanded according to the project of the famous dendrologist Georg Friedrich Ferdinand Kuphaldt (1853-1938). The park occupies 63.25 hectares in the eastern part of Žagarė town. Žagarė itself is located in the north of Lithuania and belongs to the Mūša – Nemunėlis natural area.
The park consists of two parts. The western geometric part of the park, formed in the Zubovian times – 19th century. In the 1st half. Near the southern façade was an esplenade – terraces, paths, flower beds, a circular pool with a fountain. Initially, you approached the palace from the side, turning from the road Žagarė – Joniškis. As the park expanded, the road came to the center of the park. A detour was made on the detour’s direction, and the road through the park was closed.
There have been two stages in the history of the park, which are noticeable in the structure of the park and the choice of vegetation. The smaller, or old, part of the park around the palace is associated with Zubov, who until 1858 ruled New Žagarė. After becoming the owner Narshkin, their son Georgij began to take care of the creation of the new park and the repair of the old one. Spontaneous species of Lithuanian dendroflora – ash, spruce, and July – prevailed in the old one. The old age of the park is evidenced by decayed stumps and thick trunks, often hollow trees. It is believed that the park has been around for 200 years. The new part of the park was formed in 1898-1900. by the Kuphaldt project. He set up an English landscape park on a level field of farmland. Work began in the spring of 1898 and was completed. in the fall. Indigenous species (pine trees, spruce trees and other trees) were taken from the surrounding forests, and intraductively transported from the Riga Arboretum. Planted 2 – tall trees in a planting way. Pines were planted at the age of 5 years.
The park is planted with one tree and some with two or three rows of trees. Various species are adapted to clusters or arrays of greens glued to the park boundaries. Larger roads in the park are also planted, and the alley leading to the palace eventually transitions into a linden-lined road known as the “Lime Avenue” by locals. The park is designed in a natural (landscape), also called English, style. It has natural landscapes – no regular geometric shapes, straight lines or alleys.
K. Labanauskas conducted the research in the mature park. J. Kuprevičius also noted that bees grow the most beautiful in the park and probably the largest in Lithuanian parks. Only Priekulė and Kliošiai parks outperform Žagarė in terms of beech abundance.
Nature: Žvelgaitis mound
The mound of Žvelgaitis is the most impressive part of the Ozas. It is a former settlement of the old Semigallians. The name of this mountain was given by the name of the Lithuanian prince Žvelgaitis, a historical person mentioned in historical sources in the 12th – 13th centuries. He is believed to have conquered the Semigallians and established his residence in Žagarė Castle. 1204 The Duke and his army tried to occupy Riga Castle, and failed to conquer the lands inhabited by Estonians. In 1205, returning from Estonian lands, Žvelgaitis died in an ambush.
The beginning of the settlement of Žvelgaitis Hill is considered to be the 13th century. Archaeologists have discovered that people lived in this mound in the 13th – 17th centuries, as two mounds of culture were discovered during the exploration of the mound. In the upper, dating back to the 16th – 17th centuries, clay pottery, glazed tiles, clay pipes were found. In the second layer of the 11th – 14th centuries. – burnt logs, iron and brass jewelery and articles, molded pot combs. The mound is on the left bank of the Švėtė stream, on the left side of the Žagarė – Akmenė road. It is about 830 m long and some 20 m high. The mound descends into the valley of the river Švėtė. The site of the mound is of irregular rectangular shape, with barely noticeable elevation at the edges. Archaeologists exploring this mound have found remains of a wooden building or fence dating from the 13th – 17th centuries.
Nature: Švėtė river beatch
Nature: Žvelgaitis beatch
Nature: Cherry Garden
The cherry garden of Žagarė Regional Park started to be planted in 2011. In the spring of 2007, on the edge of Žagarė town on the shore of the river Švėtė, it covers an area of 1.7 ha. This idea did not come about by accident. Žagarė has long been known for its special kind of cherries – the maggots, because the dolomite surface of the earth is favorable for the formation of the taste of this type of cherry. Žagarvishne is an early cherry variety which, according to one version, originates from cherry seedlings grown in Žagarė manor. Interestingly, as early as 1786. In the obligations of the inhabitants of Žagarė it was stated that every inhabitant should plant cherry on his homestead. 18th century the zagarians made a full year of cherry harvesting. 20th century At the beginning of the 18th century, the Žagarians carried cherries for sale to Riga, Mintautas, Kaunas, Klaipėda, and there was even a separate department of the maggots at the St. Petersburg market. Blackberry liqueur in the 20th century. pr. first started production in Riga factory.
Žagarvishne 1962 listed in the National List of Plant Varieties. There are several varieties of pea cherry, which differ in their ripeness, yield, fruit shape and other characteristics. To this day, raccoons grow on almost every homestead and are a unique symbol of the city of Žagarė.
Services: Tourism information center
Services: Bus station
Telephone: +370 618 52578
Services: Coffee shop and Bar
Services: Bicycle rent
Services: Floating souna and boat rent